[Grml] Re: grml-live, fai and package retreiving

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Nov 11 18:58:17 CET 2007

* T o n g <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20071111 18:21]:
> On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 10:58:35 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > Check out "Can I use my own (local) Debian mirror?" at
> > http://grml.org/grml-live/ (the manpage provides the same content,
> > JFYI):

> > ,---- [ http://grml.org/grml-live/ ]
> > | If you want to use a local (for example NFS mount) mirror
> > | additionally, just adjust MIRROR_DIRECTORY and MIRROR_SOURCES inside
> > | /etc/grml/grml-live.conf as well.
> > `----

> Ah, thanks. The MIRROR_DIRECTORY is outside chroot, correct? Will it get
> wiped when building the iso?

Yes, it's just "mount --bind"-ed into the chroot und unmounted of
course when building the ISO. No files will be deleted from the
mirror of course, it's used just like a normal Debian mirror and
accessed via apt-get/aptitude. :)

> hmm, when trying to answer the above questions using the UTSL method, I
> noticed that it is not quite as what I proposed.

> - One has to build a (local) Debian mirror first before he is able to use
> MIRROR_DIRECTORY and MIRROR_SOURCES. I haven't done that before.
> Will I have to pull in the full Debian mirror, not just the
> packages that I need? The bind mount method on the contrary, does not
> require one to setup anything, and does not require storing any
> unnecessary packages either.

If all you need is a caching mirror just use approx/apt-cacher/...
- it is really trivial to set up, just look in the docs for
step-by-step instructions.

> - Using the MIRROR_DIRECTORY and MIRROR_SOURCES, grml-live still need to
> download packages into the chroot, then wipe the downloaded before
> building the iso. Even the mirror is local, there are still some quite
> heavy disk RW going on. With bind mount and up to date local apt archive,
> disk RW will be near-zero. Quite a performance boost, isn't it?

Hm, not sure whether I really got you, but is your suggestion to
"mount --bind" the mirror directly to /var/cache/apt/archive of/for
the chroot?

BTW: If you are interested in my own todolist for grml-live check out
http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=grml-live