[Grml] Re: grml-live, fai and package retreiving

T o n g mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 11 00:25:00 CET 2007

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 21:04:29 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> ,-----
>> | To avoid downloading the base system again and again check out FAI's NFSROOT
>> `-----
>
>> This is another point that I don't understand the fai's philosophy. The
>> "normal" Debian will cache the downloaded packages. Removing and installing
>> a package again and again won't cause the very package to be downloaded
>> again and again. Why fai behaves this way? Are the package downloaded by fai
>> cached at the official place?
>
> your chroot has absolutely nothing to do with your
> harddisc installation. :)

Ahhh, yes, silly me.

I didn't UTSL, am I right that the general procedure of grml-live would be

. setup chroot base
. download/install all designated packages.
. clean up, including removing all download packages then,
. make iso

If so, can I suggest an option to bind mount a given apt archive into the
chroot? That's what I always been doing when remastering. bind mount apt
archive into the chroot, download/install packages, umount the bind mount
so that we don't even need to do archive clean up.

>> Thanks, and for the excellent grml-live BTW.
>
> Great you like it. :)

No I don't like it. I love it, a lot!

cheers

--