[Grml] Re: Suspend resume bugs

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Mon May 21 23:40:42 CEST 2007

> And what's the news?

I gave it:

> > (So USB_CONFIG_SUSPEND may cause issues with hardware devices, which
> > kernel upgrades alone won't fix, only driver upgrades, one per device.)

The news is, grml should probably stop advising kernel upgrades to chase
suspend/resume problems.  As Linus says, they are 99% driver bugs.
Unless the kernel upgrade incorporates new drivers, it won't do much,
and will probably add bugs of its own.

> Sure, and CONFIG_ACPI "may cause issues with hardware devices" too.

But CONFIG_ACPI is not considered experimental by the kernel devs like
USB_CONFIG_SUSPEND.

We're more likely to recompile grml 2.6.20 with our own flags, than
upgrade the kernel to 2.6.21.  If we do that I'll let everyone know
whether it worked.

Mark