[Grml] GNOME in grml rc1

martin yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Fri May 11 14:21:11 CEST 2007

Dear Mark,

It is far more complicated, as dependencies are strewn about testing,
unstable, and experimental.

One has to delete or change the pin file in apt, enable all the repos
for experimental, etch, unstable and make sure they work for your area.

Then start with:

 apt-get install nautilus gdm totem-xine evolution

Then,  applets,  nautilus burner(which may require a downgrade of a lib
or two) and so on.  You will end up with a very mixed bag, mostly gnome
18, with a few 16 things. I never bother to do desktop-environment, as I
do not need the meta-package.

Thus, there is, at the moment, no easy way.  At the moment  a knowledge
of pinning, chasing dependencies, and so on is necessary.

Now, if one can live with an earlier version of gnome, one can, before
anything else, use nano to change the sources list to debian etch, and
nothing else, the apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment, but, this
will eventually create issues with upgrades.  Not now, but eventually,
as when one reverts to the unstable branch, compilers change, and a
runtime or two.

One can try  to activate the ubuntu repositories, which means, for the
one shot, commenting out all the others, and installing
gnome-desktop-environment, then changing back to debian unstable. This
should work without a problem, for those of us who almost never
dist-upgrade. (I upgrade basically never)

I think the upgrade to 1.0 is, however, well worth it for production
machines, as I noticed a subjective, that is subjective, and to repeat,
subjective increase in overall performance.   The box just "feels" a lot
snappier. Probably due to better 2d performance of oss ati driver on
x600 card.

A complete gnome install, as of yesterday, involved about an hour of
fiddling with various deps.  On the other hand, the resulting system was
much, much more useful than a ubuntu install for laptop owners who
travel a lot, and use more complicated networking.  Also, the options we
have in grml are far broader, they just require more skill to get a
polished gnome desktop working.

Best,