[Grml] Re: Grml Beta Test Coordination

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:39:48 CEST 2007

Hi Mika,

I've returned from vacation.  Good news on bug isolation.

Booting grml 1.0 final CD-ROM with "noudev" made USB behave normally.
So: the bug may be udev rules rather than a kernel regression.  (We can
discuss privately.)

About the fscking test:  it would not have helped us here, while other
tests had real help potential (2.6.20-stable releases, kernel flags,
boot options).  The next beta will have 2.6.22 anyway, and being a full
distro, can deploy to my users.

2.6.21-plus-grml-1.0 is not a distro.  We need pre-built packages and
modules, not some kernel++ that requires me to build them.  I can't
support users that way.  Small -stable increments, maybe; that was why I
asked.

> .12 does not include anything else than a bugfix for GEODE-AES:
> http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.20.12

The particular delta number did not matter.  My thrust was that recent
and significant USB activity in 2.6.20-x (stable patches) meant USB bugs
were *NOT* specific to our hardware.

Wernfried - impossible perfection is beside the point.  A beta program
needs to avoid sweeping assumptions about weird hardware and kernel
regressions.  Otherwise there's no utility in it.  Many bugs are just
dumb typos in scripts and config files...like udev rules.

Thanks again,