[Grml] building elinks with javascript support

Doug Smith bdsmith at buncombe.main.nc.us
Tue Jun 12 21:30:43 CEST 2007

Ok, I hate to do this.  I really don't like to ask questions before
finding the answer, but this one seems to be limited by information
that does not seem to be true.  It's probably outdated.

I need to build elinks with javascript support.  I am one of your
blind grmlers.  I heard that it wasn't built into the stock Debian
binary so I went testing.

I went to:

http://www.rfbd.org

This is a library from which I get a lot of the textbooks I do my
research out of.  Well, sure enough, the information I had received
was true.  I received a page with a header about scripts needed for
data processing.  Well, I went googling.

First of all, I found a mail message at the speakup mailing list
archives from a year or two ago about installing a spidermonkey and
spidermonkey-dev package.  Neither of these existed when I tried to
install them.

Well, I went hunting again.  Out comes the weapon, the google site.
Well, no big game this time neither.  However, I found a manual at the
elinks site.  It appears to be incomplete and possibly unmaintained.
It said to do the following, so I did it.

First of all install libmozjs-dev, so that this install would pull in
the library packages that go with this package.  This was successful.

Next, when finished doing this, you were supposed to do an apt-build
install elinks.  The program wєnt to the source site at the Debian
archives and pulled down the package and built the binary.  It
successfully installed it, but there was still no javascript support.

I tried it again, rebuilding the elinks package so that I might have a
clean, new install incase I had done something wrong.  Still no
javascript support.

Well, I tried reconfiguring the elinks package:

dpkg-reconfigure elinks

after the binary was built.  Nothing yet.

I would appreciate any info I can get.  I guess I will go googling
again, plowing through the mass of data to try to ┴unt it up and apply
the correct procedure.

Any help would be appreciated.

--
Doug Smith: C.S.F.C.