[Grml] Controlling CPU Frequency

- Tong - mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 02:21:41 CEST 2007

Hi,

I rebooted my PC the other day, and only then I know that my CPU is
overheated, because I saw a BIOS warning. The fact that my CPU might have
been overheated for months made me consider seriously to control my CPU
frequency (My AMD cpu has that feature available in bios).

I've tried to make use powernowd before, but never able to. I should feel
lucky this time since the latest kernel that grml 1.0-1 uses, support cpu
frequency control by default:

http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_20
"Grand unification of ACPI based speedstep-centrino and acpi-cpufreq
drivers. It combines functionality of these two driver into acpi-cpufreq
driver."

But the problem is that googling "acpi-cpufreq" didn't come up much
result. The closest is from
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=256607

"... you should try the 'acpi-cpufreq' module. My favorite governor is the
'conservative' one.  Under load, it will ramp up the frequency, but it will
generally keep it as low as possible."

But there is no details. So I'm wondering if anyone can help me here?

thanks a lot!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
  http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/