[Grml] noon initrd question

martin yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Mon Jul 16 21:32:45 CEST 2007

Dear Friends,

Progress in understanding the issue but no solution -

after proper install of kernel 2.6.22 and initrd, the kernel cannot
find /dev/root.
googled that for some reason the new libata calls sdx hdx - okay

I did:

edit lilo to append to the .22 entry root=/dev/hda4

now, the system booted, but since the kernel saw the dev as hda, dma was
enabled, and so on, meaning that the hdd was slow, as in langsam or noch
langsamer.

cat /proc/scsi/scsi revealed only the dvd device was scsi.

Now,  I need to have the kernel direct read my sata drive - as in my
mission critical grml,  d h

yazdzik at grmllap1 ~ % cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: HTS726060M9AT00  Rev: MH4O
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: _NEC     Model: DVD+-RW ND-6500A Rev: 203D
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 05

So, is there a way to force lilo or the new kernel to recognise this and
work normally?

Any kernel gurus on the list?

Or am just being plain stupid?

MfG,