[Grml] nfs - impossible to mount a remote nfs-share

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Wed Jul 11 23:25:24 CEST 2007

* Frank Eisenblaetter <feisenbl at gmx.de> [20070711 23:04]:
> * Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> [070711 21:42]:
> > * Frank Eisenblaetter <feisenbl at gmx.de> [20070711 21:15]:

[...]
> > > mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
> > >    Either use "-o nolocks" to keep locks local, or start statd.

> > > If I try to start rpc.statd with

> > > # /etc/init.d/nfs-common

> > > it takes about 1 minute to finish "Starting NFS common utilities:
> > > statd.", but id doesn't change anything.
[...]

> > Please try running:

> > wget http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/06/03/debian/pool/main/p/portmap/portmap_6.0-0_i386.deb
> > dpkg -i portmap_6.0-0_i386.deb
> > Restart portmap
> > Restart nfs-common

> > The current portmap package (6.0-2) in Debian/unstable seems to have
> > a serious problem (I can reproduce it here as well), I'm trying to
> > debug and report it to Debian's BTS. Please use portmap_6.0-0 in the
> > meanwhile - I put it into grml-stable repository as well so grml
> > users upgrading their systems won't run into this problem until it's
> > resolved.

> Thanks for fast reply. I downgraded portmap to 6.0-0 as you descibed
> but that didn't change anything. I still get the same error message as
> described above.
> It takes about 3 min to finish a

> Restart portmap

Very interesting. On my system it works after booting and when
running:

# Restart nfs-common

then.

I just stumbled upon:

Are you using kernel 2.6.22? I'm using 2.6.22-grml here with all
packages being up2date (what will be available soon as new
develrelease 1.0-1). Looks like a portmap/nfs-common<->2.6.22 issue.