[Grml] nfs - impossible to mount a remote nfs-share

Frank Eisenblaetter feisenbl at gmx.de
Wed Jul 11 20:34:54 CEST 2007

I have a Ubuntu-Server with a configured NFS-Share. It's possible to
mount this share on an other host which run's kubuntu. If I try to
mount the share with my grml hd installation with

# mount -t nfs server:/share /mnt/server

I get the following error:

mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
   Either use "-o nolocks" to keep locks local, or start statd.

If I try to start rpc.statd with

# /etc/init.d/nfs-common

it takes about 1 minute to finish "Starting NFS common utilities:
statd.", but id doesn't change anything.

# ps ax | grep statd
gives no output

# rpcinfo -p localhost
rpcinfo: can't contact portmapper: RPC: Remote system error -
Connection timed out

# ps ax | grep portmap
4410 ?        Ss     0:00 /sbin/portmap -i 127.0.0.1

Installed versions:
- portmap 6.0-2
- nfs-common 1:1.1.0-6

Any Ideas why I cannot start nfs-common?

Regards,
Frank