[Grml] Brittle init.d scripts - tmpfs ramfs

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sun Jan 28 10:47:48 CET 2007

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20070125 03:15]:

> I never thought Linux was so breakable.  We're moving mount points into
> RAM for performance ( /var/log /var/run /var/lock etc. ).  Tmpfs or
> ramfs can stop disk thrashing and speedup a system.  (Flash USB needs it
> even more, to minimize writes.)

> Example fstab,

>    http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/179

> But....brittle /etc/init.d scripts fail without having their private
> subdirectories persist across boots, in certain places like /var/log and
> /var/run.

> If you write or test init.d scripts, please test with tmpfs and ramfs -
> do not assume pre-existence of application directories.

If I understand you right you are blaiming initscripts with daemons
that log to something like /var/log/$FOO/bar.log and complain if
/var/log/$FOO does not exist? Well, that's something you cannot
work around that easy...

If you mean something different please provide boot messages/errors
(screenshots would be ok for me too) so we can take a closer look at
it (even though that's not a grml specific problem but of Debian in
general).

"Mounting an empty directory through tmpfs" to something like
/var/log has to fail if you don't take further actions. Ah, looks
like you are searching for overlays via unionfs. :)