[Grml] GRUB 2 & LILO delays

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Jan 20 11:11:06 CET 2007

* Mark <27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com> [20070120 07:15]:

> The grml FAQ says LILO is used because it works.  I have no problem with
> that and have been using LILO.  The problem is that during grml boot,
> messages appear about sleeping for X seconds to fix problems with LILO.
> Boot delays I do not enjoy.

This happens only if you are using initramfs. initramfs-tools with
lilo is broken since ages. :( So either deactivate initramfs (the
initrd stuff) if you don't need it at all or if you switch to grub
deactivate the lilo-fix via running:

cd /usr/share/initramfs-tools
cp init.orig init
cp scripts/functions.orig scripts/functions
update-initramfs -c -t -k $(uname -r)

> Would grub be better?  What about grub version 2, is anyone using
> that with grml?  Thank you,

Use of grub would fix the issue, yes. As Debian does not care
about lilo I'm thinking about switching to Grub at grml as well.
I've some code for grub in grml-debootstrap already, I hope I can
find some time to port the code to grml2hd as well.

I've added it to the BTS, http://bts.grml.org/grml/issue81