[Grml] Re: Debian Etch and grml

Marc Haber mh+grml at zugschlus.de
Tue Jan 16 14:14:32 CET 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 01:06:46PM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
> * Marc Haber <mh+grml at zugschlus.de> [20070116 12:57]:
> > On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 02:03:57PM +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:
>
> > > Especially as Debian testing does not get real security-support. :(
> > > That's not really relevant for workstations for me, but straight
> > > before a new stable release is available that's an important point -
> > > at least for me.
>
> > There is some kind of Security Support for Debian testing, by means of
> > the testing security team. Unfortunately, they're missing a lot of the
> > transparency I'd like to see from a security team, but that's nothing
> > new for Debian. I plan to blog about this in the near future once I
> > find the time.
>
> Security support for testing is (AFAIK) nothing else than "we move
> packages from unstable to testing faster than usual". For me that's
> not real security-support as you can't activate just the
> security-testing pool but have to make use of the full testing-pool
> for upgrades. :-/

As far as I am informed, there is a testing-security pool which just
has never been used to push in a security update. I suspect that this
will happen once a security update must be done for a package that
cannot migrate normally from unstable to testing because of library
deps.

Actually, it is one of the major "beefs" I have with testing-security
that this mechanism has not yet been in use. I'd like to see it at
least once before I rely on it.

> > NACK. We did not have any library transitions for months, and new
> > upstream versions are being withheld.
>
> Hm, which ones are this for example?

Newer kernels, for example, and exim4. Just look into experimental.

Greetings
Marc