[Grml] Re: Boot by UUID or disk label

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Feb 3 10:46:04 CET 2007

* ][ <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070203 04:15]:
> On Thu, 01 Feb 2007 10:11:47 +0100, Michael Prokop wrote:

> >> Grml wiki indicates that grml can use disk labels/UUIDs as root= option
> >> for booting [1]. What's the correct syntax for that?
> > [...]

> > http://michael-prokop.at/blog/2006/08/11/stable-root-device-aka-uuid/

> Ah, that's where I learned about stable root device naming convention.
> I've read it before, but only vaguely remember the knowledge came from grml
>  when I need it, but searched the wrong place -- grml wiki.
> thanks again mika.

I did not document it in the grml wiki yet because I'd like to write
some more documentation about it before. Upcoming grml releases will
very probably use mounting by UUID for main partition (the libata
merge of >=2.6.19 forces the decision), I've to make sure the
upgrade path works fine for all users then.

> A side question, is the UUID get assigned during mkfs or partition
> creation, or...?

The UUID is usually assigned with running mkfs. Some filesystems
provide an interface to change the UUID later on, like with
"xfs_admin -U $UUID".

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/