[Grml] Grml-live-remaster (boot problem - busybox)

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Dec 17 12:28:23 CET 2007

* Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> [20071217 12:11]:
> * vadim.blajkun at ubs.com <vadim.blajkun at ubs.com> [20071217 12:06]:

> > I am quite new to the remastering the GRML live CD. I am trying to
> > remaster the CD based on the grml-small linux 2.6.20 kernel following
> > the procedure described in the "Remastering GRML" HOWTO
> > http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=remastering. Everything went Ok until I
> > have tried to boot from the resulting ISO - it thrown me to the busybox.

> > I have noticed that executing mksqushfs results in the GRML file which
> > is about 0.5 MB smaller than the original GRML file, even though there
> > were absolutely no changes to the original. If I do not run mksquashfs,
> > bit simply recreate ISO using mkisofs, the resulting ISO image works
> > fine. I looks that the problem is somewhere in mksquashfs. I use
> > mksquashfs distributed with squashfs3.3.tgz via
> > http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=63835

> Looks like you are using LZMA compression (which is the default in
> current squashfs version) whereas the grml-small kernel does not
> (yet) support LZMA. So either use the current full 2.6.23-grml
> kernel or just disable LZMA in grml-live using:

> ,---- [ http://grml.org/grml-live/ ]
> | -z
> | Use ZLIB instead of LZMA compression in mksquashfs part of the build
> | process.
> `----

> or via setting SQUASHFS_OPTIONS="-nolzma" in /etc/grml/grml-live.conf
> Make sure to use grml-live version 0.0.13.

Oh you don't use grml-live at all, I should have read your posting
more carefully. ;)

So it might be that you have to use the "-nolzma" option in the
mksquashfs command line when building it manually. My previous
comments keep valid though. :)

Does this fix your problem?

BTW: I suggest to take a look at grml-live [see
http://grml.org/grml-live/ for more details]. :)