[Grml] Re: [grml-bugs] bug#25: Wish lists for enhancing the grml configuration system

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Mon Apr 23 14:28:26 CEST 2007

* - Tong - <mlist4suntong at yahoo.com> [20070422 23:15]:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 12:17:17 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> > So what exactly are you requesting here?  You mean you want to get a
> > 'myconfig=scan' which searches through all available partitions for a file
> > config.tbz [in the root directory] and use it then?

> Yep, that will do. Or, it can be as fancy as:

>  myconfig=scan [config_file]

Ok.

> e.g.,

>  myconfig=scan my_real_fancy_config_file.ext
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's not possible in this way because it's not an unique
bootoption. ;) But:

> One of the reason that I need to specify my own config_file name is that I
> could sneak in a config file in a publicly shared machine. I would name it
> as close to a window$ system file as possible in order to prevent it from
> being deleted by some bored users.

... in combination with another bootoption this shouldn't be a big
deal anyway.

> >> - Boot-Options config.d, i.e., please define a grml configuration
> >>   directory. On booting all the .tbz files from within the defined
> >>   directory or from the config.d option, will be restored, in the
> >>   order by their names.

> > You mean like the config bootoption which does:

> > | restore configuration using file config.tbz from directory /cdrom/config/

> > (see http://grml.org/config/grml-config.html for more details) but
> > not only use *one* config.tbz but *all* the available tbz files from
> > the directory?

> > So it would become:

> > | config.d  =>   restore all tbz. files from directory /cdrom/config.d/

> > That's what you want?

> Exactly! restore them in the order of their names.

Ok.

> >>   The save-config generated configuration, the plain bzip2
> >>   compressed tar archives is a good thing. But I don't like the fact
> >>   that all related or unrelated files are all stuffed into this same
> >>   file. I hope that I can group related files into different .tbz
> >>   files. It is much more easy to manage than a single file.

> > You can name your config.tbz like you want (even when generating it
> > with save-config), see the config=config_foobar.tbz stuff at
> > http://grml.org/config/grml-config.html

> > AFAICS all that has to be done for this feature is the config.d
> > stuff, right?

> Exactly.

Ok.

I'll add the above stuff to our TODO list and will work on it post
grml 1.0.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/