[Grml] Text based Email: what do I need?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Sat Sep 30 11:16:40 CEST 2006

* Jan-Pieter Jacobs <janpieter.jacobs at gmail.com> [20060930 11:07]:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:33:42 -0600
> "s. keeling" <keeling at spots.ab.ca> wrote:

> > Incoming from Branko Vukelic:

> mutt, mutt-ng, etpan, elmo, are nice emailreaders included in grml.

> I'd recomend mutt-ng. It's quite easy to setup with the
> grml-muttng script.  You might want to tweak the config but it
> really is ok. (use pops://pop.gmail.com as mailserver, mind the
> pop_s_). And G is the key for getting the mail ;).

Please notice that development of mutt-ng does not take place since
a few months. I don't recommend to chose mutt-ng if you don't have
it running already (I'm even considering switching back to mutt). So
please chose mutt with grml-mutt instead.

> > > What I want to do is:
> > > 1. set up POP access (using SSL) to my Gmail.com account,

> For the receiving, it's been taken care of by mutt itself.

JFYI: fetchmail and getmail are both capable of handling ssl.

[...]

> > > 3. send mail using Gmail.com's SMTP server,

> For the sending, use the grml-postfix setup script (don't execute
> it more then once, it messes up the config file it seems).

Please notice that grml-postfix nowadays does nothing else than
running:

  dpkg-reconfigure postfix