[Grml] grml-x generated xorg.conf issues

Wolfgang Scheicher worf at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at
Fri Sep 22 14:56:36 CEST 2006

Am Friday, 22. September 2006 13:04 schrieb Michael Prokop:
> * Wolfgang Scheicher <worf at sbox.tu-graz.ac.at> [20060922 10:15]:
>> The test setup:
>>  - GForce2MX
>>  - Samsung Syncmaster 940B (a 19" tft)
>>  - Logitech MX500 mouse on USB.
>>
>> I consider my setup not that exotic, but there are some problems with the
>> xorg.conf that grml-x generates:
>>
>> *) The frequency for tft's should be 60Hz. I have to run grml-x with the
>> option -hsync 60-60, don't know if it's possible to have this detected
>> automatically.
>
> What does 'hwinfo --monitor' say?

hmm, i can see the problem:

root at grml ~ # hwinfo --monitor
32: None 00.0: 10000 Monitor
  [Created at monitor.93]
  Unique ID: rdCR.QTfKIX4qyo3
  Hardware Class: monitor
  Model: "SAMSUNG SyncMaster"
  Vendor: SAM "SAMSUNG"
  Device: eisa 0x01ba "SyncMaster"
  Serial ID: "HMEYC00964"
  Resolution: 720x400 at 70Hz
  Resolution: 640x480 at 60Hz
  Resolution: 640x480 at 67Hz
  Resolution: 640x480 at 72Hz
  Resolution: 640x480 at 75Hz
  Resolution: 800x600 at 56Hz
  Resolution: 800x600 at 60Hz
  Resolution: 800x600 at 72Hz
  Resolution: 800x600 at 75Hz
  Resolution: 832x624 at 75Hz
  Resolution: 1024x768 at 60Hz
  Resolution: 1024x768 at 70Hz
  Resolution: 1024x768 at 75Hz
  Resolution: 1280x1024 at 75Hz
  Resolution: 1280x1024 at 60Hz
  Resolution: 1280x960 at 60Hz
  Resolution: 1152x864 at 75Hz
  Size: 376x301 mm
  Driver Info #0:
    Max. Resolution: 1280x1024
    Vert. Sync Range: 56-75 Hz
    Hor. Sync Range: 30-81 kHz
    Bandwidth: 108 MHz
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

With that info it's not possible to know that 1280x1024 at 60Hz should be used i
guess. This values from hwinfo end up in the xorg.conf and the tft compains.

>> *) I get 2 Entries for mouse in the xorg.conf
>> One "USB Mouse" and one "PS/2 Mouse".
>> This would not be that bad actually, but both use device /dev/input/mice,
>> resulting in a unusable x (double mouse speed and every klick being a
>> double klick)
>
> grmlx -nops2 ...

Well yeah, this does remove the entry.

But there still is the fact that both usb and ps/2 mice and propably all other
mice too are accessed by /dev/input/mice so doubt that a xorg.conf should be
created that put a pointer on the same device more than once.

Actually i'm quite confused now, because i just found out that if i do a cat
on /dev/input/psaux and /dev/input/mouse0 and /dev/input/mice i always get
data, no matter if i connect the mouse on ps/2 or usb.
I actually didn't expect to get data on psaux when i plug in on usb!

Really weird...

Worf