[Grml] FYI: Printing on remote CUPS server via lpr (package cupsys-bsd)

"Robert Zöhrer | pronet.at" robert.zoehrer at pronet.at
Tue Sep 19 15:02:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

while seeting up grml (HD-install) as my new working environmnet, I
wanted to print on my CUPS printer server via cups-client from my grml
running notebook:

Printing via "old" (BSD style) commands

lpr $somefile

always returns something like:

"jobs queued, but cannot start daemon." and no page was printing :(

Because "lpstat -o -p -d" shows all available printer queues, I was
perplexed

After playing around a bit I noticed that

# aptitude show lpr
Unable to find an archive "grml" for the package "lpr"
Package: lpr
State: installed
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

is the problem. When printing via CUPS you need the wrapper package
"cupsys-bsd" instead of "lpr" to be installed - otherwise all print jobs
are handled by old BSD style lpr queue :/

This is _not_ really a grml bug, but maybe coexistent installing both of
these packages should be thought over.

Maybe this report helps other folks with same troubles

--
Regards,

Dipl.-Ing. Robert ZÖHRER
Mail: robert.zoehrer at pronet.at