[Grml] Re: ZFS for Linux ("real soon now")

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Sun Sep 17 00:16:27 CEST 2006

Good PDF overview slides here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/docs/zfs_last.pdf

RAID comments in here:
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/zfs/whatis/

Disk access / filesystem performance is the greatest bottleneck in PC
performance (disk = slowest component).  ZFS could make Linux go mach
speed.  And rid us of fsck forever.

ZFS needs to be kernel.  FUSE is user space, a big performance hit.  The
release of ZFS is huge (in light of point above).  The kerneldevs should
get ZFS into Linux, whether it means (a) lobbying Sun for GPL, or (b)
configuring Linux to allow separately compiled fs stuff (similar to the
nvidia drivers).  If anything ever argued for bending the "Linux house
rules," ZFS is it.  One of the few things that makes me want to
customize my own Linux kernel.  Talk to any Linux sysadmin who moved
(down) from Solaris filesystem to Linux filesystems and you'll get an
earful about ZFS.