[Grml] Re: RFC: handling of external usb devices

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Sep 7 16:17:10 CEST 2006

* Frank Lehmann <eggsperde at gmx.net> [20060905 12:15]:
>  Mark wrote:

> > P.S. A kind of bug report:
> > We already have label-based partitions in fstab, but the auto-builder
> > duplicates our manual entries with /dev/XYZ syntax.  So now the fstab
> > refers to the same partition twice.

Yes, but I personally don't see this as a bug, because therefore you
have the option which version you want to use.

> > It is possible to boot "nofstab" but that is not desirable.  We still
> > want autodetection.  What we would like:  grml detects if the fstab
> > already has a certain partition, and if so, does not add a /dev/XYZ
> > entry.

Well, duplicates won't happen for /dev/XYZ entries, even if they are
configured manually. But currently we don't recognise LABELs and
UUIDs, right. I'll take a look at it whether it can be done
reasonable to implement support for LABELs. I'm afraid of duplicate
labels (I really don't like UUIDs in /etc/fstab on workstations) but
I've to discuss the issue with the other grml-devs on next
devel-meeting. Let's see what's the result.

>  Yes, that hits the nail on the head. The script is cool for a new system, but
>  I have the GRML-repo on my (stock-)-Debian installation and it made some  nice
>  mess in /mnt. Mark's idea is great, I would love to see that in GRML!

The reason for "mess in /mnt": grml makes sure that you have all the
directories available, which are given as target directory in
/etc/fstab. But as written above I'll think about the label-stuff
for fstab.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/