[Grml] closer to time zone issue

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Thu Sep 7 03:45:17 CEST 2006

Dear mika and friends,

okay, the problem with the timezone issue is that grml8 thinks that the bios is indeed set to local time, but in Wien.

grml8:

root at mylap1 ~ # date
Thu Sep  7 03:09:04 CEST 2006
root at mylap1 ~ # tzconfig
Your current time zone is set to America/New_York
Do you want to change that? [n]: n
Your time zone will not be changed

but in grml7:

root at grmlap1 ~ # date
Wed Sep  6 21:31:01 EDT 2006
root at grmlap1 ~ # tzconfig
Your current time zone is set to America/New_York
Do you want to change that? [n]:

Okay, what I want is for the complete system to know that bios is set to NY, all programmes should read time as NY, and when I come home to Klagenfurt or Scotland, allow me to display those times with the gui, as being set off from the system time, which has to be NY.

This has something to do with the grml2hd setup but what I do not know.

What it does have to do with the problem as I originally described it is that kde root always takes the time from the system time.  Thus, kdm will presume that Vienna/AT is in fact the correct time, then, at reboot, set the hw clock to it.

This is not desirable, for obvious reasons.  Evolution, kontact, the clock screensaver, everything should reflect where I am, not where the install script thinks I should be, whether or not I would rather be there.

The solution in grml7 was to "no" all the references in time autoconfig.

Why does this not work in 8?

Thanks for being so patient.

Greetings from NY,

"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between those who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them
 merely as raw material for some scheme." --Russell