[Grml] Re: RFC: handling of external usb devices

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Tue Sep 5 02:22:28 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-04 at 15:58 -0700, Mark wrote:

Labels/UUIDs are not merely preference.  They can be *necessary*

Take my case - laptop travels everywhere - niece's camera, colleague's
usb memory stick, daughter's boyfriend's usb hd, and so on.

Whatever the technical implementation, let me, with some sense of
humour, describe a typical laptop night at my house:

Niece says: Martin, look at these cool pictures. Plug in usb camera.
Daughter's bf: can you transfer this code from my hdd, compile it and
see what gives. thanks, dude.  unplug camera, plug usb hdd
Daughter: Yung Min has a paper in German, can you correct the grammar
and style?  unplug hdd, plug usb stick...

This should all occur with no other user knowledge than the drive
becomes visible, accessible via konqueor, nautilus, or whatever, one
views, transfers, opens files, edits documents, returns hw to original
owner with corrected term paper, compiled binary, and/or some emotional
sanity intact.

Mounting drives was necessary in my day, because one, literally
physically mounted large disks onto spindles.

Time has come for someone to make usb drives work as intended, so it
might as well be mika. ;)

In my case, actually, I simply have an embarrassing entry in fstab,
which with file and command simply functions so far.

For sysadmins, I have no idea, but for people like me, dumb endusers, we
need to automount whatever drive comes to our laptops wherever and
whenever needed.

Or rid ourselves of pesky kids and friends....

Best,

Fronti nulla fides