[Grml] Remastering grml

Juergen Fiedler juergen.fiedler at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 21:35:02 CEST 2006

I think I got the basics of remastering grml down OK: I copy the contents of
the squashfs to a writable folder, chroot into it, do whatever I have to do,
leave, recompress the image copy it back and rebuild the ISO image. Works
well enough.

But: The resulting ISO image turns out much bigger than I anticipated. For
example, I added a package that takes up about 1.5M on disk, but it
increased the size of the ISO by about 14M. I mad sure to call 'apt-get
clean' before leaving the chroot and to verify that /var/tmp and /root were
empty and yet, there is space wasted that I can't account for.

Can anyone give me any pointers as to what I can do to make sure that I
don't add unnecessary ballast to my remastered ISO?

Thanks,
 -juergen