[Grml] totem, mplayer and security

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Sat Oct 14 05:27:33 CEST 2006

Synptom:
xine media player, gnome cdplayer , vlc all play music cds,

totem and mplayer do not, but always did in debian and libranet

hint: at first root could play the cd on totem, then next time

"** (totem:4639): WARNING **: Failed to connect to the session bus: Did
not recei ve a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application
did not send a reply , the message bus security policy blocked the
reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
"

I would like to disable any part of any security system which prohibits
any thing I do from accessing anything.  I am well aware that I am
choosing convenience over safety.  I know grml is not for noobs but
sysadmins, and I use the brilliant installer to make a multimedia
general purpose laptop, so I am merely begging for a solution.
Everything I have googled points to selinux as the culprit.  How do I
rid myself of any selinux, hardened, secure, anything and get what I
need, which is every programme can access whatever it needs to play
whatever media I want, irrespective of what a rational sysadmin in a
business setting would ever want?

Thanks,