[Grml] slow start of xserver , very poor responsiveness with nohwcap

Erich Minderlein erminderlein at locoware.de
Sat Nov 25 20:45:11 CET 2006

Hello
see also my contributions @ http://lists.mur.at/pipermail/grml/
where I followed before on this subject
Hardware :
Amilo Pro Notebook V2030 Inter celeron , 1,5 GHz, 256 MByte RAM,
VGA Via   <6>ACPI: Video Device [VGA] (multi-head: yes  rom: no  post:
no)
  --
      CGA/Mono Video supported
      ACPI supported

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. UniChrome Pro
IGP (rev 01) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
	Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computer GmbH Unknown device 109b
	Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
	Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
	Memory at d1000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
	Capabilities: [70] AGP version 2.0

I was wondering why this beast was slower in starting X than my (with
display mechanically broken Toshiba Portege 3110CT) Subnotebook with
PentiumII 300Mhz, 192 MByte and a 7 GB HDD. from the last millenium.
(I use it as xterminal right now!)

sw: a system mixed from unstable and the grml distro
kernel 2.6.17-grml

I did init 5 (for Xserver )
ps ax and checked PID for the gdm processes
strace -f ... PID (2*)
ALT F7
login in with my $USER $PASSWORD
CTRL ALT F1
init 2
I found that 427 accesses for /etc/ld.so.nohwcap were happening,
and no file there.
touch /etc/ld.so.nohwcap and it maked 822 accesses, but slightly
faster.
I think this is a performance killer.

Mailingliste grml recommended to report it to debian-x, so here we go.

Please feel free to ask more, also that I did deinstall this Xorg server
now.

regards
--
Erich Minderlein <erminderlein at locoware.de>