[Grml] AMILOPRO V2030 sluggish : cpu frequency modulation slow speedstep-centrino vs. p4-clockmod

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue Nov 21 21:46:25 CET 2006

* Erich Minderlein <erminderlein at locoware.de> [20061121 21:29]:

> cpufrequtils 002: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2006
[...]
>   Hardwarebedingte Grenzen der Taktfrequenz: 188 MHz - 1.50 GHz
>   mögliche Taktfrequenzen: 188 MHz, 375 MHz, 563 MHz, 750 MHz, 938 MHz,
> 1.13 GHz, 1.31 GHz, 1.50 GHz
>   mögliche Regler: userspace, performance
>   momentane Taktik: die Frequenz soll innerhalb 188 MHz und 1.50 GHz.
>                     liegen. Der Regler "userspace" kann frei
> entscheiden,
>                     welche Taktfrequenz innerhalb dieser Grenze
> verwendet wird.
>   momentane Taktfrequenz ist 188 MHz  (verifiziert durch Nachfrage bei
> der Hardware).

That looks OK for me - basically. Are powernowd or cpudyn running,
right?

> this is not what we want !
> so the change of frequency is not allowed as I understand

No, your system should adjust cpu frequency according to the needs.
Services like powernowd can handle that for you. You can adjust the
limits manually as well, see
http://acpi.sourceforge.net/documentation/processor.html

If you do not want to use frequency scaling at all you just have to
unload the cpu-frequency modules of course.

But let's check whether your system really adjusts frequency
according to your needs. So just run cpuburn-in and take a look at
the current processor frequency (running cpu-screen,
cpufreq-info,... or just 'cat
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq'). Is it still
at 188MHz is it increasing?

> uname -a :

> Linux amilopro 2.6.17-grml #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jul 25 10:57:35 CEST 2006
> i686 GNU/Linux

> Whover choose the smp for a single cpu lap top oris this double core ?

Hm?

The SMP-alternatives feature of recent kernels allows use of SMP
enabled kernels on unicore systems, nothing to care about.

You like grml?  Help us!      http://grml.org/donations/
Already on the grml-user-map? http://www.frappr.com/grmlusers
The Grml Planet               http://planet.grml.org/
Grml Solutions                http://solutions.grml.org/