[Grml] X and Console, grml 0.8 , latest update last week

Erich Minderlein erminderlein at locoware.de
Wed Nov 8 14:54:05 CET 2006

Hallo Mika

Amilopro V2030, 256 MByte RAM, 1,5 GHz Celeron
The video framebuffer eats a minimum of 16 MByte from this RAM,
I cannot adjust less in the BIOS. (Choice of 16/32/64 MByte)

1. Sometimes the notebook is very sluggish on the console,
it takes several seconds to react. (runlevel 2, no swap space used)
I believe the zsh does it with looking for too many aliases)

2. Starting X with init 5 and logging in as user terminates the session
immediately and the login screen reappears and the grml browser starts.
This has to do with file permissions, I had it on debian sarge too,
forgot how to fix it.

3. Changing to console with CTRL-ALT-F# (console number) does not erase
the x window, but gives only writes of the whitish parts of the console
output in an unreadable way, obviously the pixel lines / columns memory
order is not realigned to the display mode.

best regards

--
Erich Minderlein <erminderlein at locoware.de>
MARC Mannheim Rail Commerce GmbH