[Grml] Re: Suggestions

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Wed Nov 8 00:03:14 CET 2006

Tong wrote:

> unionFS is Puppy Linux, it allows 5 layers to work together, and it has
> detailed docs on how it is done:
>
> http://www.puppyos.com/development/howpuppyworks.html
>
> BTW, I have planned long time ago to write the author of Puppy Linux a
> personal email to invite him join on board to develop grml, but haven't
> go time to do that yet. :-)

Puppy Linux is nice.  We considered it.  What decided grml instead is
the portable Debian system.  Puppy is anything but standard.  Puppy has
its own repository system, etc.  That means extra work when you want to
install things not in the Puppy repos.  With a big USB hard drive,
Puppy's compression and clever games are don't-cares.  USB2 hard drive
seek/r/w speed is so much faster than CD's that access/speed issues are
don't-cares.

Summary -- borrowing Puppy ideas is fine, if compatible with grml2hd
portable USB systems.  (No reason for problems, just saying.)  We
believe the days of live CDs are numbered as high-capacity mobile
storage devices get cheaper.  We get 80 Gig USB2 bus-powered palm drives
for less than $100.

But you're right, Puppy is clever, though grml might teach Puppy some
lessons too.