[Grml] Re: Starting domain name service bind failed

Ulrich Dangel grml at spamt.net
Wed Nov 1 01:43:48 CET 2006

* T wrote [01.11.06 00:48]:
Hi,

> If I restart it again, I get back the same error:
>
>  % /etc/init.d/bind9 restart
>  Stopping domain name service...: bindrndc: connection to remote host closed
>  This may indicate that the remote server is using an older version of
>  the command protocol, this host is not authorized to connect,
>  or the key is invalid.
>   failed!
>  Starting domain name service...: bind failed!

Ok, this meens, the key which rndc uses to stop the server is wrong.

> Any explanation?

To start the server, there is no key needed. If you stop it, a key is
needed. So the rndc key is wrong.
I have also a solution, do an
,----
| mv /etc/bind/rndc.conf /etc/bind/rndc.conf.org
`----

Btw. this is _not_ a bug in the debian package. The  problem is imho, that grml
ships that file.

> thanks

HTH
Uli
--
WARNING: RAID-6 is currently highly experimental. If you use it, there is
no guarantee whatsoever that it won't destroy your data, eat your disk drives,