[Grml] ATI drivers vs. Mesa(OT)

my yazdzik at nyct.net
Thu May 25 22:42:47 CEST 2006

Mika,

Pardon, please the OT, but, since that method works perfectly on my
mission critical machines, but I am trying to build a test bed, will the
deb packages work if one has upgraded to xorg 7?

If so, do the gl apps work?

I e, I need xorg 7, fglrx drivers, with all 3d working.

Best,
Martin

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 21:05 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> * Werner Schuster (murphee) <werner.schuster at gmail.com> [20060525 20:39]:
>
> >  I tried to get the  fglrx-kernel-2.6.16-grml drivers for ATI, but it seems
> >  like that creates problems with the install Mesa drivers, ie. I get the
> >  following error:
>
> >  Unpacking replacement fglrx-driver ...
> >  dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx-driver_8.25.18-1_i386.deb
> >  (--unpack):
> >   trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2', which is also in package
> >  xlibmesa-gl
> >  dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>
> >  Could I remove the Mesa libs? Removing the Mesa package doesn't work, because
> >  that would remove half my system (even amarok depends on it).
>
> >  What about removing the libGL.so.1.2 file, so that the fglrx can install its
> >  version; if the driver causes trouble, would this make my system instable?
>
> The fglrx-driver package should take care of this and should add a
> diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to
> /usr/lib/fglrx/diversions/libGl.so.1.2.
>
> This works for me:
>
>   http://grml.org/tmp/gkrellShoot_05-25-06_210104.png
>
> Are you using Xorg 7.0? Is you system up2date?
> What does 'dpkg --get-selections | grep xlib' say?
>
> The last method to solve the problem would be a 'dpkg -i
> --force-overwrite ~deb/fglrx-driver_8.25.18-1_i386.deb'.
>
> regards,
> -mika-
> join #grml on irc.freenode.org
> grml-devel-blog: http://grml.supersized.org/

"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between
those who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them merely as
raw material for some scheme." --Russell