[Grml] grub-install fails

Martin Yazdzik yazdzik at nyct.net
Tue May 9 14:55:34 CEST 2006

Tony Wolf went through this with me about a week ago.

There is some problem, to wit, after apt-get install grub the necessary files
to install grub to mbr are not present in /boot.

I used a simple cheat, which was to use a live cd and run grub install from
there, using my grml partition as root, in other words, install grub to mbr,
pointing toward the /hddx were grml is.

In your case, this ought to be, from a live cd,

grub install
root (hd0,2)
install /dev/hda

Doing this from within grml does not seem to work.

Best,
Martin