[Grml] Wireless help

my yazdzik at nyct.net
Tue May 9 00:23:12 CEST 2006

Dear Chris,

The easiest way is to find out as what it recognises the card, i e,
wlan0, eth0 and so on.

Make sure that in /etc/network interfaces that the entry for the
connexion is there,

as example:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

then issue:

iwconfig eth0
ifup eth0

If there is more than one wireless lan, then do iwlist scan,  noting the
essid of the network to which you would like to connect, the

iwconfig eth0 essid blahblah

ifup eth0

If you tell us what kind of card you have, we can probably guess what
the iface is called.

For instance, if you are using ndiswrapper for a windows driver, it is
always wlan0, for many other cards as well.  Udev often assigns nowadays
wireless0.

The other use for iwlist scan is it may tell you which of the ethernet
cards is the wireless one, since the others read as no wireless
connexion.

Best,

Mon, 2006-05-08 at 22:06 +0100, Chris Norman wrote:

> Hi people, I'm stuck here doing bloody computing coursework, and I need
> Linux.
>
> I know GRML recognises my wireless card, but I need to connect to the
> wireless with it.
>
> It's an open unincripted network, is there a quick and easy to connect?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris Norman
> <!-- chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com -->

> join #grml on irc.freenode.org
> grml-devel-blog: http://grml.supersized.org/

"...children and young people feel instinctively the difference between
those who genuinely wish them well and those who regard them merely as
raw material for some scheme." --Russell