[Grml] Getting a shell on serial

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Fri May 5 21:39:47 CEST 2006

* Mike <schizo at angui.sh> [20060505 20:15]:

>  I'm trying to use grml as the base for a hardware validation USB
>  key on a machine which has no video at all, and is accessible
>  through a serial console.

>  After yanking the boot.msg splash screen and adding
>  console=ttyS0,11500n8 to the append line, things are promising
>  (moreso than knoppix which had serial support as a module :( )

>  The issue that I'm having is that even if I use the 'serial'
>  cheatcode (in addition to having added the console bit to the
>  append line), I'm not getting a shell on the serial console.  I
>  get as far as:

>     [ ok ]hing for device(s) labeled with GRMLCFG.
>    *   Floppy device detected. Trying to access floppy disk. (Disable this via
>  boot option: noautoconfig)
>     [ ok ]devices with label GRMLCFG found.
>     [ ok ]hed execution of main grml startup.

>  (minicom messes up the pretty formatting)

>  And then nothing.  This is the point at which I would normally be
>  getting a prompt and be on my merry way.

>  What's the trick to getting it going?

>  (If I boot the same USB key on my desktop, using the same
>  cheatcode and append line, I get no boot progress to screen [all
>  going to imaginary serial], just the grml.org logo in the upper
>  left, and then suddenly the normal shell)

Which grml-version are you using?

Please try booting via:

serial

No further options needed. This will run 'grml ... console=tty1
console=ttyS0,9600n8' and start mgetty for you. Does it work with
minicom then? Another option would be using ser2net instead of
minicom. If you are using grml 0.7 please try using grml-small 0.2
instead and report whether it works for you then.