[Grml] Robust filesystem for power failures

27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Thu Jun 29 00:04:07 CEST 2006

mlist4suntong wrote:

> I have reiserfs for my root fs, but still
> that can't sustain the frequent power failure
> that I'm having.

Read this editorial on ReiserFS power failure issues.

http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Filesystems/reiserfs.html

We use Reiser for nonroot partitions, and like it.
We wish it were more liked by kernel devs.  But it does
have power failure issues, if the article is right.
Try ext3.

Another help against crashes is to move the admin user
to a separate /home partition, so you end up with
/home/root, /home/user1, /home/user2, etc.
Backup and restore of /home partitions is easy.

System partition rescue/recovery/rebuild can be done by
grml-live-cd or grml2hd independent of /home partition.

Current grml does not permit moving the admin user.
It's on the wishlist.

M.