[Grml] Re: Re: adduser and RPC Connection

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 17 21:55:47 CEST 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:09:03 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> > Because you might run userauth via NIS. You didn't notice this before
>> > because Debian runs portmapper by default - which grml doesn't.
>
>> Ahh, no wonder, thanks for the explanation. Any quick fix?
>
> Start portmapper or just ignore it. Nothing to care about, it just works
> and does not break anything.
>
>> PS. I didn't touch any userauth or NIS setting after the HD
>> installation.
>
> Yes, that's Debian's useradd.

So to conclude, Debian's useradd tried to run userauth via NIS by default,
which will make rpc calls/connections.

Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA protocol
port numbers.  It must be running in order to make RPC calls.

grml doesn't runs portmapper, and I never need to make RPC calls.

- is it ok to remove the Portmap from my system?
- is there any way to disable Debian's useradd from using NIS and making
rpc calls/connections?

>> PPS. I don't have any package that begins with yp installed.
>
> But something like nis/nfs/portmap/passwd. ;)

hmm... not quite

slocate portmap/passwd
slocate nfs/portmap

both above return nothing.

slocate portmap returns only the following files:

/etc/default/portmap
/etc/init.d/portmap
/sbin/portmap
/usr/share/doc/portmap