[Grml] Re: Grml philosophy

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 19:51:39 CEST 2006

Thanks for the explanation, Michael.

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 21:30:51 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

>> I'd like to know the philosophy behind the grml releases. I used to use
>> Debian testing, but recently revert to stable because the vulnerability
>> of Debian testing. So you know I'm always on the cautions side. I know

The reason that I'd like to know this is because I am seriously
considering using grml, ie grml2hd, as my working environment. So I need
to assess the full impact before I jump the ship.

> upgrade all relevant grml-packages a virtual package named 'grml'
> exists. Upgrading all grml related stuff from one release to the next
> one is possible therefore via running:
>
>   # apt-get update ; apt-get install grml
>
> It won't touch the installed kernel and as we do maintain the
> grml-packages on our own (and test them before they are going into a
> public release) this upgrade process can be considered as stable.
>
> Between the stable release I provide several develreleases to grml
> developers and betatesters (see http://grml.org/beta-tester/ for
> details). And of course I (and several grml developers and users) use
> grml at work, at home,...

So far, my understanding is as follows. Please correct me if any of the
following statements in not true.

- grml makes use the official Debian unstable packages, which means the
grml2hd will give you a pure Debian unstable environment, not a
hybrid one like Knoppix.

- having set proper apt-source, one can start install from official Debian
unstable repository right way after the grml2hd.

- grml has a virtual package named 'grml' that define all the package'
versions that the release uses.

- the virtual grml package can help upgrade grml system by a single
apt-get install

- grml maintains all its release packages in its own repository, which can
help insulate any problem occurs in the official Debian unstable
repository

- In general, grml's own repository stays stable, and is only updated for
new grml release or develreleases.

- the virtual grml package, which defines all the package's versions that
the release uses, help the grml grml2hd system stays stable between
releases, even the official Debian unstable packages have moved along.

- grml's own repository contains only the packages that are released to cd.

Are all above correct? If so, please consider the following situation.

The official Debian unstable repository has moved along, while grml's own
repository stays the same. I need to install a package that is not in the
grml's own repository, but the one in the official Debian unstable
repository required a certain grml package(s) to be upgraded. How would
the situation be handle? Triggering a cascade of upgrading, or refuse to
install the new package?

please help

thanks

--