[Grml] Use Grub for GRML please

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 18:59:04 CEST 2006

Hi Michael

Browsing the mlist archive, I know you are a strong believer of lilo, and
don't like Grub. I can totally understand that.

I remember I gave up several attempts trying to switch from lilo to grub
-- to me it was the grub's unintuitive syntax. But once I learned it and
understand the beauty of grub I never use lilo again. Hope you find the
same way too. If you'd like to give it a try, I'd be glad to be of any help.
All that get me started was a very good tutorial article...

Though it might be hopeless, let me try to show you that grub might be
helpful (one more time).

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 11:32:51 -0400, T wrote:

> Note: Adapted from Knoppix Remastering Howto
> http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

When I first tried it, my box wouldn't boot because to the layout
difference of /boot between KNOPPIX and GRML.

But thanks to grub's interactive debug capability, the problem was solved
within seconds. Had I was using lilo, it'd take me several boots to solve
the problem.

Second, from the author of "Poor man's install, grub and ntfs" :

"...boot using grub instead of isolinux (can be used for
repairs/diagnostics). morphix and kanotix are both using a cute graphic
grub menu, which gives easy access to various knoppix cheatcodes,
documentation etc. "

He's done that to knoppix.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Ml#grub_gfx_boot

just my 2c. HTH