[Grml] Use GRML without burning any CD

T mlist4suntong at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 1 17:32:51 CEST 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006 09:55:39 +0200, Michael Prokop wrote:

> * boulhian <boulhian1 at menara.ma> [20060428 02:15]:
>
>>  You can also boot grml_iso from HD without grml_CD. Condition:  you
>>  must have a linux partition with grub as linux loader on your HD.
>
>>  Here is a way to do so:
>>  1-copy grml_iso to a partition on HD: (hda5 as example).
>>                 grml tohd=/dev/hda5
> [...]
>
> Thanks a lot for writing down the necessary steps! I've added it to the
> grml-wiki at http://wiki.grml.org/doku.php?id=tips

Hi Michael

Just want to point out that it is not 100.00% correct. :-)

The wiki says:

,-----
| Boot grml without CD
|
| Besides the possibilities to boot grml from CD, USB/Firewire ... you can
| boot a grml-ISO from your harddisk as well.
`-----

The fact is that you have to burn the CD first in order to apply the above
method, because of the step 1, which is kind of defeat the whole purpose.

Moreover, it is not booting a grml-ISO per se but booting from the
extraction of it.

I'm still trying to make booting a grml-ISO works. But meanwhile, I've
figured out a way to use grml without burning any CD at the fist place,
which is enclosed below.

The following is in asciidoc format.

== Use GRML without burning any CD

=== Linux Case

Case 1: you have

- a working linux, be it on HD or any Live-CD
- a spare partition for GRML
- grub as boot loader on HD

Do the following as root.

==== Copy /boot directory

Copy /boot off the grml cd to your boot partition.

--------------------------------
# my boot partition is /dev/sda3
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/tmp1/
mount -o loop /path/to/distros/grml/grml_0.7.iso /mnt/tmp2
mkdir -p /mnt/tmp1/boot/grml
cp /mnt/tmp2/boot/isolinux/linux26 /mnt/tmp1/boot/grml
cp /mnt/tmp2/boot/isolinux/minirt26.gz /mnt/tmp1/boot/grml
--------------------------------

==== Copy /GRML directory

Copy the /GRML directory to your root directory of any hard disk. You
may place it somewhere other than the boot partition (ext2/3, reiserfs, vfat
are supported).

--------------------------------
# put /GRML in /dev/sda7
mount /dev/sda7 /mnt/tmp3
cp -pr /mnt/tmp2/GRML /mnt/tmp3
--------------------------------

==== Add boot entry

Put in your /boot/grub/menu.lst something like:

  title GRML
        root   (hd0,6)
        kernel  /boot/grml/linux26 welcome noeject noprompt fromhd=/dev/sda7
        initrd  /boot/grml/minirt26.gz

Notice the 'fromhd' parameter: it's the location of the /GRML directory.

 umount /mnt/tmp1
 umount /mnt/tmp2
 umount /mnt/tmp3

Now reboot and have fun.

Note: Adapted from Knoppix Remastering Howto
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

=== Windows Case

Case 2: for those unfortunate people who have to use Windoze...

Suppose you have a windows-only pc, and only one partition; to make things
worse the partition is windoze close-and-proprietary NTFS, yet you still
want to use grml without burning any CD. Then, check out the

Poor man's install, grub and ntfs
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Ml#Poor_man.27s_install.2C_grub_and_ntfs

Basically it involves installing wingrub and copying files. Remember to
's/KNOPPIX/GRML/g';

good luck.