[Grml] Re: nVidia video hardware autodetection bug

Mark or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com
Fri Feb 3 20:22:54 CET 2006

> You won't get hardware autodetection for closed source nvidia
> drivers.

Thanks for confirming the diagnosis.  I wish they were open source too.

Closed source does not technically prevent autodetection.  In fact
since grml-x already accepts nvidia switches, it should be trivial
to invoke them automatically on PCs with nvidia cards.  I may just
mod grml-x myself for my users.

> You don't have to reboot if you modify xorg.conf, just restart X.

Well, a reboot should also have worked.  The problem is that I used
nvidia's x setup tool instead of grml-x, probably.

Thanks.
Mark