[Grml] nVidia video hardware autodetection bug

Mark or2uvma02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Feb 2 01:44:26 CET 2006

OK, I followed the advice and just tried it on a spare user machine.

    apt-get install nvidia-kernel-2.6.15-grml

That much worked but was not the whole story.  Hardware autodetection of
the nVidia card seems to be a problem.  My current impression is that
GRML does not detect it or set it up properly.

At boot time, grml-x creates /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Now as a test, I ran
nvidia-xconfig by hand, which creates its own /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  Then
I rebooted.  That didn't work.  When I rebooted, X would not start
properly.  So I fell back to the old xorg.conf.

Even though nVidia drivers are installed, GRML 0.6-1 hardware
autodetection fails to use them.  Hence it could be considered a bug or
missing feature in the hardware autodetection.

Hardware autodetection is the reason I use GRML, and it has the best I
have seen, don't get me wrong.  There may well be something I am doing
wrong, please forgive me if I seem obtuse or dumb, I just report what I
see in terms that I understand.

Thanks,
Mark