[Grml] Re: Are grml packages initially installed by aptitude

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 28 23:26:06 CET 2006

> > I'm just wondering, are grml packages initially installed by aptitude?

He means the initial hard drive install:

Grml2hd does a "copy all" operation.  There was discussion months ago,
check archives, or view /usr/sbin/grml2hd.  The running CD-ROM copies
itself to the hard drive leveraging chroot for mods.  (We prefer grml2hd
over grml2usb for usb devices > 2 GB or so.)

>From there you have a very normal Debian system, so aptitude just works.
 The hard drive can boot like a live CD with hardware autodetection but
is still normal Debian.  That is a huge advantage over distros like
Puppy, Dyne, and even Damn Small Linux which uses outdated kernels
(2.4.x last I looked) and software.  Grml offers very up-to-date
packages.

> Run 'deborphan' to remove unnecessary packages from your system.

Mika: Add deborphan to the end of grml2hd?