[Grml] gnome disaster

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Dec 28 11:14:52 CET 2006

* my <yazdzik at nyct.net> [20061228 00:15]:

> this is not a fglrx issue, as it occurs with any driver.

Ok.

> Notice the difference in the log marked root, where I directly logged in
> to gnome as root - the desktop environment simply works.

[...]

> Note as well:  if I edit the xorg.conf file by hand and remove the
> monitor that grml-x installs, it is there again on the reboot, so I
> would like a way to try to write my own xorg.conf and not have it
> touched on the reboot.  Is this possible?

Huh?! grml-x isn't executed neither on booting nor automatically at
all. It must be something different therefore. Check out
/etc/runlevel.conf if there's anything what might touch your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.

[...]

The relevant lines are:

> AUDIT: Wed Dec 27 17:17:13 2006: 2839 X: client 3 rejected from local host
> ProcXCloseDevice to close or not ?
> ProcXCloseDevice to close or not ?
> AUDIT: Wed Dec 27 17:17:44 2006: 2839 X: client 15 rejected from local host
> Synaptics DeviceOff called

And before those lines there're some errors regarding the AIGLX
stuff:

| (EE) AIGLX error: dlsym for __driCreateNewScreen_20050727 failed (/usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so: undefined symbol: __driCreateNewScreen_20050727)
| (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering

So, does deactivating GLX/DRI help? Just disable the lines:

        Load  "dri"       # direct rendering
        Load  "glx"       # 3D layer

in xorg.conf.

Oh, and does starting gnome via startx as user (*without* gdm) work?
Just put 'exec gnome-session' to the end of your ~/.xinitrc and run
startx with gdm disabled.