[Grml] GRML and hibernation question still needs answering...

Keith Hinton keithint38 at CommSpeed.net
Tue Dec 26 17:01:58 CET 2006

I seem to remember asking on this list what file systems are best for things like suspending a desktop computer multiple times, unplugging the supply after doing so, etc.
I still have not had this answered.
Thanks.
The prior answer I got to this was that the person assumed that I did not know how to configure grub or lilo to resume, and that information is incorrect.
I had grub resuming from the correct swap partition.
Remember: to re-state my issue:
basically I install grml automatically to my hard-drive with an xfs file system.
Then, I install grub into the mbr like this:
grub
root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
Then reboot into my new installation of GRML.
After that, I decide to do the following :
echo disk >/sys/power/state
Computer hibernates.
(NoteJ:)
At the present time when doing this, the power supply still was receiving power.
So, turn back on computer.
Grub loads, and quickly resumes from the swap partition.
So, after about three minutes, I once again do:
echo disk >/sys/power/state
Except in this test of xfs, I go and switch off the serge-protector that goes to every single peace of computer-stuff I own, wich is in effect the same thing as yanking out the power supply cable from the back of the PC.
So, after about 5 minutes, or less, I restore power to the computers, modem, router, etc.
Turn on the Linux grml test box.
And...to my shock,
the box did nothing.
Just sat still, did not beep at me the way it had done previously, etc.
And, in fact
I had to perform over 8 hard-power-offs and incorrect shut-downs of the machine before it would even reckidnize the presentes of a grml CD-rom, (and yes,) it would not reckidnize the grml CD, or anything.
Finally, after minutes of turning on, turning off, turning on, turning off...and so on... I managed to reboot.
At that point, I whiped Linux and reinstalled Windows onto my drive from a grml clone with NTFS-Clone, untill I can resolve this issue.
I am sending a carbon coppy, in hopes that someone can respond to this, as  I do not receive digests from grml at mur.at, until the next twenty-four hours. I consider this email of extreme importants, and my trust in xfs is gravely shaken.
I need a relyable file system taht does well when suspended multiple times, and things. Thank you all!
Regards tot he list, and merry christmas to all,
--Keith.
Check out my website at:
http://www.KeithNet.DynDNS.org
I have a link to grml.org there. :)
I hope more and more people will be willing to check out grml through my site, or some other means. :)