[Grml] Re: Framebuffer mode setting

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Fri Dec 15 23:55:00 CET 2006

> As stated in bootsplash "f3" you have to use fb1280x1024 as the main
> image name

Sorry for a typo, my fault.  That gives 1280x1024 but not 60 Hz
v-refresh.  Instead it gives a mode not even listed in /etc/fb.modes,
1280x1024-77 Hz, so fbset --show claims.  We want the framebuffer to
match the X11 mode - vendor recommended settings.

We have 60 Hz 1280x1024 full color in X, but not framebuffer.  Somehow
grml/framebuffer is doing its own thing out of our control.

This problem matters - switching between framebuffer and X11, monitor
firmware settings can be optimized for one mode only, not two.  We lose
readability in framebuffer.  Also we want slower for KVM signal
degradation, besides what the vendor says is best.

We've tried fbset, lilo, all kinds of stuff, nothing seems to work...but
I'm no expert in framebuffer...yes I know that vrefresh is meaningless
for LCDs but not quite.  The monitor will auto-self-adjust if it detects
this particular timing, and that's very helpful to us.  So we're trying
to RTFM and follow vendor instructions here.

  Mark