[Grml] Framebuffer mode setting

Mark 27e3kk302 at sneakemail.com
Thu Dec 14 01:05:19 CET 2006

We're not clear how mode selection works for framebuffer.  The file
/etc/fb.modes lists many modes.  We want 1280x1024-60.  The choice
matches a vendor 'preferred timing mode' for optimal monitor
performance.  We run this mode in X fine.

The problem is framebuffer.  We do not get how to ask grml for
1280x1024-60.  No fbset commands or lilo configs seem to do it.  We get,
instead, 1280x1024-77 or some other unexpected v-refresh, not even
listed in fb.modes.

We tried a 'special name' for mode 1280x1024-60 to work with lilo
commands and it also failed.  (Actually we made a duplicate mode with a
different name in fb.modes.)

The grml 0.9 live CD also does something weird.  We boot 'grml
fb1280x1024' but end up with lower resolution framebuffer, 1024x768.  It
seems that grml cheatcodes do not allow arbitrary selection from
fb.modes, but only 3.

We cannot rely on automatic mode selection.  We need to state the modes
we want.  We use KVMs quite a bit, which ruin DDC queries to monitor
firmware, and also we run LCDs on analog video, not digital.  This
combination works fine in the right driving mode.

Thanks,
   Mark