[Grml] Re: Progress indicator

Matthias Böttcher MatthiasBoettcher at web.de
Wed Dec 13 09:20:49 CET 2006

Michael Schierl schrieb:
> Michael Prokop schrieb:
>
>> I've added a script named grml2ram which is based on your script to
>> package grml-scripts:
>>
>>   http://hg.grml.org/grml-scripts/rev/7f265425dec1e56bcf711c449bfbca7f54f7145a
>
> Fine! Did not know that rsync can do --progress :)
>
> BTW: Are there any generic "progress indicator" scripts or programs on
> the grml CD? Something to put into a pipe (e. g. between »dd
> if=/some/disk« and netcat) to see how much data flows through it?
> Anything from nice bars to just a KB/MB/GB counter would be nice.

bar

I found it in the grml repository and since then I'm using it to see the
transfer progress of pipes. It's a very good tool!

grml at grml ~ % apt-cache show bar
Package: bar
Version: 1.10.5
Architecture: i386
Installed-Size: 124
Maintainer: Michael Peek <peek at tiem.utk.edu>
 Bar is a simple tool to process a stream of data and print a display
 for the  user  on stderr showing (a) the amount of data passed, (b) the
 throughput of the data  transfer,  and, if the total size of the data
 stream is known, (c) estimated time remaining, percent complete, and a
 progress bar.
 .
 Bar was originally written for the purpose of estimating the amount of
 time needed to transfer large amounts (many, many gigabytes) of data
 across a network.  (Usually in an SSH/tar pipe.)

grml at grml ~ % apt-cache policy bar
bar:
  Installed: 1.10.5
  Candidate: 1.10.5