[Grml] Unlocking CD drive

Michael Schierl schierlm-public at gmx.de
Sun Dec 10 19:53:48 CET 2006

Michael Schierl wrote:

>> In case you have enough RAM, running "grml toram" should probably help
>> too i guess?

> And losetup cannot "move" a loop-mounted file (while
> mounted) either. And I don't know any other way how to archieve this.

When digging through the Linux code, it seems that loopback devices
support moving loop-mounted files around - it is just that I do not know
any userspace tool that makes the LOOP_CHANGE_FD ioctl available to its
users.

But, doing something like

-----
#!/bin/sh
cp /cdrom/GRML/GRML /tmp
perl <<'EOF'
open LOOP, '</dev/loop0' or die $!;
open DEST, '</tmp/GRML' or die $!;
ioctl(LOOP, 0x4C06, fileno(DEST)) or die $!
close LOOP;
close DEST;
EOF
umount /cdrom
-----

works fine, as long as you have enough RAM (tested in a virtual machine
with grml-small 0.3).

How about putting this (or similar) into a grml-toram script?

Michael