[Grml] grml0.9rc2: filterm does not work with less

Martin Jerabek grml at xstnz.fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 6 16:47:13 CET 2006

Hi!

When using a UTF-8 locale, grml0.9rc2 suggests during boot to use
"filterm - dynafont" to enable UTF-8 output on the console. This works
fine with several programs I tested (e.g. more, vim) but not with "less"
(or "most"). This is annoying because it makes it impossible to view
manpages since man uses less as its pager by default. When trying to
view manpages in a UTF-8 locale without filterm, special characters such
as "fancy" quotes are not displayed correctly, of course.

The effect when using less with "filterm - dynafont" is that the console
is switched back to its default grml font and less hangs. It has to be
killed to be able to proceed. A simple test to show this behavior while
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 is set:

% filterm - dynafont
% less
...Only ^C can stop less

Instead of calling less directly, try to view any manpage:

% filterm - dynafont
% man find
Reformatting find(1), please wait...
...stuck...

I am sure this is a problem of filterm but since filterm seems to be the
recommended way to do UTF-8 output in grml0.9, it is also grml's
problem.

Regards
Martin Jerabek