[Grml] Re: afio i/o- Error

Eugen Romas eugen.romas at romas.de
Thu Aug 31 18:45:30 CEST 2006

> * Eugen Romas <eugen.romas at romas.de> [20060830 14:15]:

Sorry, with some more testing I got the same errors on my
Debian-Sarge-System.

>> > the error above dos not appear anymore and I don't know why.
>> > Instead I get new errors:
>>
>> > afio: "/mnt/usr/bin/skype.z": Error zipping file, written damaged copy
>> > to archive.
>> > afio: "/mnt/usr/lib/openoffice/program/libsw680li.so.z": Error zipping
>> > file, written damaged copy to archive.
>> > afio: "/mnt/usr/java/jre-1_5_0_08-linux-i586.bin.z": Error zipping file,
>> > written damaged copy to archive.
>>

> Might this be related to
> http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2004-January/021299.html
> ?

With using my own script for zipping and encrypting I got the errors too.
> Otherwise it might be related to the unionfs overlay setup.
> Which working directory are you using when starting your script and
> what's $DIRECTORY standing for? Maybe using $DIRECTORY as the
> working directory and '.' instead of $DIRECTORY fixes the problem?
>
> regards,
> -mika-

It seems to be an other problem, not a special problem of grml!
If I vary the zipping level from gpg I get more errors with higher
compression and less errors with lower
compression.
I found out that the md5sum of restored "damaged copies" is the same as
of the original files
(as Mr. Marcus Williams wrote).
My solution is to verify the "damaged copies" against the filesystem. If
a file is really damaged, then I
do a special backup for it first and then by reducing the compression level.
Many thanks for for your help,
regards,
Eugen